[Kde-pim] opensync, kitchensync, kmobiletools / livemobiletools development

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Sat Feb 23 15:38:28 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:26:26PM +0100, Beaudoin Gael wrote:
> Hi !
Hej Gaƫl,

> I have a fresh trunk svn checkout and opensync 0.36 installed. I can't manage
> to compile current kitchensync (it does not find opensync package).
Normally you have to set the path to opensync in ccmake, but it seems
you have figured out it already :)

> So, what is the plan ? Have you discussed this ?
Well, the plan is to continue with the OpenSync based KitchenSync and
write a OpenSync plugin that accesses Akonadi directly.
Unfortunately the KitchenSync developer (mainly Cornelius and me) had no
time and currently concentrating on Akonadi. So if you are interested
in continue KitchenSync development I'll give you any help you need!

> I've only submitted few patches to KDE and I'm looking for something that
> would interest me enough to hack on. I follow kde develoment closely. And
> I've been wanting to sync my pim data for years. And I think it's badly
> missing. So where can I help ? Someone to help me getting started ?
Are you already familiar with the concepts of OpenSync? I've lost the
overview over the changes in the last two releases, but if you want to
hack on KitchenSync, the first step would be to learn the API and
concepts of OpenSync.

We don't access the OpenSync API directly from within KitchenSync, but
have a thin wrapper library qopensync, which hides all the C-ish things
and does all the data convertion. So I guess a first step would be to
extend libqopensync to reflect all the new features which are available
in OpenSync (e.g. selection of data types that shall be synced,
configuration of mergers etc.).

When that's done, the next step is to refactor KitchenSync (yes, it has
some strange internal design flaws, resulting from historical grown
code) so that new features can be added easily.

The third (and maybe funniest) step is to make use of the new features
of OpenSync in KitchenSync by providing GUI elements for all the
functionality.

So if you have any specifc questions feel free to contact me by private
mail.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!