[Kde-pim] Decibel akonadi integration

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 20 02:06:24 GMT 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 5:29 AM, Tobias Koenig <tokoe at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:18:56PM +0100, Volker Krause wrote:
> > That was my initial reaction as well when this first came up. OTOH Akonadi
> > already has working change notifications in place, no need to do that again.
> > Also, we have support for multi-part items by now, which allows to store the
> > online state attached to the corresponding contact without any changes to the
> > actual contact data (and thus not propagating any changes to groupware
> > servers etc.). This eg. would also mean that a IM application's contact list
> > is bascially just a Akonadi::ItemModel without the need of dealing with a
> > second backend.

This sounds good - the IM contact list being and Akonadi::ItemModel
was basically what I was aiming for - avoid every app wanting to do
realtime stuff needing to get the data from two different sources.

> > If that should be integrated into KABC API or if there should be another
> > high-level contact API based on KABC and Akonadi is a different problem, we
> > haven't really solved that for the other types either yet.
> Please add another API on top of Akonadi and KABC to not blow up the
> KABC API.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Since decibel takes care of
putting *all* presence into the storage itself, there is no need for
an API to store presence data, just to retreive it, which would be
done by the Akonadi::itemModel (above), woudln't it? Or have I
misundrstood this?

George