[Kde-pim] KMails Account Wizard

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 16:17:06 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 14:56:22 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2008 5:31:18 pm Manfred Mislik wrote:
> > >
> > > Does it actually start, if kmail is started as part of kontact?
> >
> > No, then you need to start it from Tools->Acccount Wizard which is not
> > really easy to find for the beginner.
>
> I think we should have a "PIM Wizard".
> It should do everything the Account Wizard does, but more.  including:
>  - do you use Kolab (run kolabwizard) or Scalix (run scalixwizard)... ?

Continuing this idea a bit further, much of this can probably be
auto-detected, like we do with the security settings for SMTP and IMAP. A
user would just specifiy her email address in the first step, derived from
that we get a likely hostname for the mailserver, which we could query for
supported services.  Even if we don't get to the perfect situation of just
specifying email address and password, we nevertheless could probably
simplify the process by offering the most likely option first and hiding
unavailable options.

>  - setting up a contact for yourself
>  - setting holiday region
>  - setting timezone (if different than system timezone)
>  - ask if you want to see birthdays in your calendar
>  - are there plugins you want to use ?

regards
Volker