[Kde-pim] The road to KMail/Akonadi (was: multiple selection and hitting assert in KMMainWidget::slotMsgPopup)

Szymon Tomasz Stefanek pragma at kvirc.net
Sun Dec 14 02:00:55 GMT 2008

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2008 17:43:27 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > With this in mind I propose to start a whole new extragear project
> > KMail2 consisting of all of the above parts and re-using many of the
> > concepts and as much of the code from KMail1 as possible. The
> > development of this project will be completely based on Akonadi and
> > KMime and it will take as long as it takes. To free as much developer
> > resources as necessary development of KMail1 will be halted, i.e.
> > KMail1 will enter permanent maintenance mode.
>
> +1. We can't maintain two KMails in parallel

+2. At least from what I've seen in the last months: there seems
to be not enough workpower.

> so KMail1 definitely needs to go into maintenance mode.

If we decide that we have a replacement to work on, I completly agree.

> So yes, let's discuss this in Osnabrück (Szymon: ping, will you be there?).

It's a hard decision. The problem is that Osnabruck is hard to reach from
here (Siena, Italy). It takes some hours of car plus two flights or
car + one flight + train. In any case this means a whole day trip to go and a
whole day trip back. This also means high transportation expense as I haven't
been able to find a reasonable flight arrangement from low cost companies.

I'll drop a mail to the kde-pim-meeting asking for hints...

Szymon Tomasz Stefanek