[Kde-pim] The road to KMail/Akonadi

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 09:46:00 GMT 2008

Thomas McGuire <mcguire at kde.org> writes:
> +1. We can't maintain two KMails in parallel, so KMail1 definitely needs to go
> into maintenance mode.

+1 for creating a clean new KMail, but with reservations about having
a hard KM1 feature freeze.  That would mean a long period (at least a
year, probably more) with no user-visible updates to KM1 and with no
usable KM2.  That would repeat the situation with the KDE3.5->KDE4
transition, with all the exciting new stuff going into trunk but it
not being usable for day-to-day use.  That has changed now with KDE4,
of course, but it was a long wait.

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Twickenham, UK                          jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk