[Kde-pim] Working 2-way sync between KDE PIM and PDA / Phone?

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Dec 5 17:36:34 GMT 2008

tic wrote:
> I've been syncing my Treo for the last 3 years at least with KPilot
> and had (almost) no problems. I admit, sometimes it's a bit touchy but
> syncing address book and organizer works good enough for me.

Ok, after reading Jasper's recent mail concerning kpilot and KDE 4.2, I now ordered a Palm Centro with PalmOS Garnet.

While using KDE 3 its kpilot worked quite well for me with my PalmOS 4.1 WristPDA for quite some time before it suddenly stopped functioning. Unfortunately I had not time to pursue these problems back then, however.

However, as kpilot is being actively developed for KDE 4.2, PalmOS currently seems to be the only choice which at least possibly might be able to sync with KDE PIM... ;)

Unfortunately I will only be able to give the requested "end user testing feedback" as soon as there are KDE 4.2 test packages for Debian as I'm not currently in the mood of compiling KDE on my own... :-(

> The biggest problem I experience when I try to sync the phone with a
> second computer. Then it messed things up last time I tried (backups
> can be helpful).

Yes, that happened to me with kpilot from KDE 3 as well, it took me two days to clean up the mess... ;)

> The biggest problem here is actually that PalmOne is trying very hard
> to go bankrupt as soon as possible.

Unfortunately yes, and I consider PalmOS in general to be dead. However, I will also ride a dead horse as long as it works sufficiently well for me... ;) And maybe when PalmOS finally really dies, OpenSync and its KDE PIM plugin will be finished and stable... ;)

Greetings,

  Gunter