[Kde-pim] KMails HTML mails

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 21:11:39 BST 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op woensdag 27 augustus 2008 15:41 schreef u:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wednesday 27 August 2008 10:02:11 Tom Albers wrote:
> > > Just a small note, I see KMail4 spreading fast around developers
> > > now, but the HTML it produces is still very very poor and hardly
> > > readable. Would it be an idea to disable sending the HTML-part of
> > > the mail before the tagging of 4.1.1?
> >
> > Absolutely not, no. HTML mails will _not_ be removed.
>
> Did I mention removal anywere? I suggested to disable it yes.

The correct solution (Thomas did already mention it at Akademy) would be
to send messages always as plain text unless the user did actually make
use of some formatting.

> > You can't just remove a
> > major feature in a minor release, and I would never remove the HTML
> > function, it has too many users. Furthermore, nobody really has
> > complained yet. There is a bug report about missing linebreaks in
> > HTML, but that is it. I agree that the HTML is very crappy, but the
> > user is not going to see it anyway.
>
> That's were we don't agree. I constantly see the html rendered mails
> which look like utter crap right now.

Hint: Disable HTML rendering in Mailody. ;-)

More seriously: I never see HTML rendered messages because I read all
mail in plain text mode. And if I want to see a message in HTML mode
then I can easily do so by clicking on the corresponding link shown in
the preview pane.

> Attached is a screenshot, you should try to read it ;-)

Yes, in HTML mode it looks awful. But I would have never noticed
this. :-)

Regards,
Ingo