[Kde-pim] Inline images in KMail

Kevin Gilbert kevin952 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 4 02:40:41 BST 2008

This post is a continuation of one I made on kdepim-users. See
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=121752067521772&w=2 for all the sordid
history.

> On Thursday 31 July 2008, Kevin Gilbert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just had my first look at KMail under KDE4.1.
> >
> > The first thing I looked for was the facility to create messages with
> > inline images & other attachments. Unfortunately, that facility still
> > doesn't exist! :(
>
> Because it is far from trivial to implement with the currently used
> editor and because all of our resources were spent on making sure that
> KMail is available in KDE 4.1 at all.

OK, so this is not going to be easy. But is it impossible? On a scale of 1 to
10 with 0 being trivial, what is the degree of difficulty?

> > See http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=115145060532073&w=2 for a
> > message on the same topic I posted on 2006-06-27.
> >
> > Are there any plans to include this?
>
> I don't know whether there are concrete plans (as in "John Doe intends
> to implement it for KDE 4.2"). Maybe ask again at the kde-pim mailing
> list.
>
> > KMail lags far behind other Email clients in this regard - both
> > Outlook & Thunderbird can do this.
>
> ... and it is far ahead in some other regards.

Agreed!

> I suggest to avoid such "This other app can do it, so why can't you?"
> statements. They are the weakest argument you can give when you request
> a feature. And to be honest, I, as former maintainer of KMail, always
> feel a bit insulted by such statements.

You should be - KMail is a damn fine product.

> I guess you did not intend to  bash KMail, but as far as I'm concerned you >
> did. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Over protective parent? :)

> Anyway, no hard feelings.

None taken.

But, perhaps my choice choice of words could have been better. I've been a
avid KDE & KMail users for years. Even had a hack or two at it (both KDE &
Kmail). I certainly did not intend to start a KMail-bashing session.

> > Is there anything I can do to help? Happy to have a hack if someone
> > will point me in the right direction.
>
> Come over to the kde-pim mailing list. Your help will be appreciated.

I'm here!