[Kde-pim] More questions about: scripting akonadi

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Apr 15 23:26:23 BST 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, April 15, 2008 12:39 am, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > You can simply deliver your mail to folders in mbox or maildir
> > format as you are doing it now. If the mbox/maildir folders are
> > registered with Akonadi then Akonadi will automatically pickup the
> > newly delivered mail.
> >

> > It would probably help if you would explain what you want to do.
>
> There are two purposes behind all these questions: one is that I may
> write an article about Akonadi. The most urgent or concrete reason,
> however, is that, over the years, I have developed my own
> super-customized email management system and am quite happy about it.
>
> I am trying to understand if akonadi can be _added_ to what I have
> now, so I can ADD to all that the advantages that akonadi will offer.
> Or if I should
> rewrite some parts of my email management scripts in an
> akonadi-compatible way.
>
> > To me it's not clear whether using Akonadi makes sense for what you
> > want to achieve,
>
> yes, this is exactly the reason why I came here to ask.
>
> > but that's mostly because I don't understand what you want to
> > use it for
>
> the first/easiest example that pops to my mind is this: my own MTA
> delivers (through procmail) all non-spam messages to TEMP_MAILDIR
>
> a second script, ran by a cron job every minute, scans all the files
> in TEMP_MAILDIR and:
>
> messages from some important lists are moved to BULK_INBOX as they
> are found messages from less important lists are moved to BULK_INBOX
> once every hour
>
> the real setup is more complicated, but the concept is the one above:
> controlling (as *I* like, and without recurring to digests) the
> priority and frequency with which new messages "disturb" me. The
> question then becomes, can I keep all this machinery going and just
> _add_ akonadi to it, that is can I point Akonadi _only_ to
> BULK_INBOX, which I'd continue to "feed" with new messages with the
> mechanism above?
>
> From what you wrote I assume the answer is "yes", but I'd like a
> confirmation (for the sake of learning, if nothing else).

Since I'm not actively involved in the development of Akonadi I cannot
give you an authoritative answer. But IMHO the answer should be "yes".
("should" as in "otherwise there's something wrong with the design of
Akonadi").

I have now understood what you want to do. But I still don't know why
you want to do this, i.e. why do you want to make Akonadi play nice
with your "super-customized email management system" (SCEMS ;-)). This
would make sense if you intend to use an Akonadi-client like KMail or
Mailody to access the mail stored in your SCEMS. Otherwise, I don't see
what you want to gain from using Akonadi.

Regards,
Ingo