[Kde-pim] Moving Akonadi server to kdesupport.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 20 19:27:40 BST 2008

On Sunday 20 April 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since the last KDE dependency has been removed, we can now move
> akonadi/server to kdesupport. Since KDE 4.1 is getting closer rapidly, I
> prefer to do that soon.

I agree.

> I would like to suggest that we pick a date that we are all available and
> we can do the move. I would like to suggest monday the 28th between 7pm and
> 8pm.  That way we can make sure we keep everything in compilable state
> after the move.

From the experience with my last trial for doing it I guess it will take a lot
longer than one hour.

We can probably prepare for it though, e.g. checking how other projects in
kdesupport find their dependencies or replace CMake macros from KDE with
local copies.

> The move is slightly more complex because:
> - kdesupport is before kdelibs, that means we can not use the cmake voodoo
> from kdelibs anymore. - the akonadi private library (now in kdepimlibs)
> needs to move as well - some dbus interfaces need to move too.

Should be do the org.kde -> org.freedesktop namechange before or after the
move?

> Here are my questions:
> - Tobias: do you want to do the actual move? You seem to know how to
> properly break stuff ;-)

Yeah, that would be great!

> - what will be the final layout of the  kdesupport/akonadi folder ?

Probably at least something like:

kdesupport/akonadi/cmake
kdesupport/akonadi/interfaces
kdesupport/akonadi/server

The question is whether the shared library should be in ./lib or in ./server

> - do we need to rearrange the remaining stuff in kdepim? We talked about a
> 'runtime' folder in Berlin. Anyone with a good proposal if so?

I don't think we need to do that.
Distributions with policies for huge packages will create one kdepim package
as usual, distributions with fine grained packages will quite likely create
packages for each single program with suitable dependencies.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring