[Kde-pim] More questions about: scripting akonadi

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 12:16:04 BST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 00:26:23 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 April 2008, M. Fioretti wrote:
> > On Tue, April 15, 2008 12:39 am, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > You can simply deliver your mail to folders in mbox or maildir
> > > format as you are doing it now. If the mbox/maildir folders are
> > > registered with Akonadi then Akonadi will automatically pickup the
> > > newly delivered mail.
> > >

> > > It would probably help if you would explain what you want to do.
> >
> > There are two purposes behind all these questions: one is that I may
> > write an article about Akonadi. The most urgent or concrete reason,
> > however, is that, over the years, I have developed my own
> > super-customized email management system and am quite happy about it.
> >
> > I am trying to understand if akonadi can be _added_ to what I have
> > now, so I can ADD to all that the advantages that akonadi will offer.
> > Or if I should
> > rewrite some parts of my email management scripts in an
> > akonadi-compatible way.
> >
> > > To me it's not clear whether using Akonadi makes sense for what you
> > > want to achieve,
> >
> > yes, this is exactly the reason why I came here to ask.
> >
> > > but that's mostly because I don't understand what you want to
> > > use it for
> >
> > the first/easiest example that pops to my mind is this: my own MTA
> > delivers (through procmail) all non-spam messages to TEMP_MAILDIR
> >
> > a second script, ran by a cron job every minute, scans all the files
> > in TEMP_MAILDIR and:
> >
> > messages from some important lists are moved to BULK_INBOX as they
> > are found messages from less important lists are moved to BULK_INBOX
> > once every hour
> >
> > the real setup is more complicated, but the concept is the one above:
> > controlling (as *I* like, and without recurring to digests) the
> > priority and frequency with which new messages "disturb" me. The
> > question then becomes, can I keep all this machinery going and just
> > _add_ akonadi to it, that is can I point Akonadi _only_ to
> > BULK_INBOX, which I'd continue to "feed" with new messages with the
> > mechanism above?
> >
> > From what you wrote I assume the answer is "yes", but I'd like a
> > confirmation (for the sake of learning, if nothing else).
>
> Since I'm not actively involved in the development of Akonadi I cannot
> give you an authoritative answer. But IMHO the answer should be "yes".
> ("should" as in "otherwise there's something wrong with the design of
> Akonadi").

Right, there are two options: Add a maildir resource for BULK_INBOX (which can
be seen as "mounting" BULK_INBOX into the Akonadi tree if you compare it to
a filesystem) or feed the messages directly into an Akonadi collection using
the Akonadi command line tool. Both might not work currently though since
file system monitoring is missing in the resource and the command line tool
still needs quite some work as well.

regards
Volker