[Kde-pim] Sending emails via KMail or MailTransport library?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Sep 30 12:08:06 BST 2007

On Saturday 29 September 2007 20:59:49 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 29 September 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> > Op za 29 sep 2007 20:25 schreef u:
> > > Email sending should eventually also be available through D-Bus,
> > > probably as a service to complement Akonadi.
> > >
> > > Actually, since "sending email" often also means storing a copy in a
> > > certain mail folder, such a service might be an Akonadi agent itself.
> >
> > Not every user uses kmail / akonadi. It is very easy to use
> > kpimidentities/mailtransport. Not saying that every user uses
> > kpimidentities/mailtransport, but at least the audience is bigger (at
> > least by 1).
>
> Sorry, I probably phrased this badly.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that applications would not use those APIs, I rather
> wanted to voice my opinion that mail sending capability would be a nice
> addition to the (via D-Bus) shared infrastructure.
>
> Even if we recommend that KDE applications rather use the APIs directly
> (the service implementation obviously would do this as well), sending mail
> is often interesting for third party applications as well (e.g.
> OpenOffice.org).

Mailtransport already has a D-Bus interface which is exported by every
application using it. Having it always available could be easily done by a
one-line kded module. Adding a D-Bus method for sending mails would also be
possible, but because the use of jobs a bit more complex if you also want to
return the result. Both are actually noted in the mailtransport TODO file
already ;-)

regards
Volker