[Kde-pim] Query on Akonadi resource implementation

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Fri Sep 21 20:51:08 BST 2007

As you may be aware, I'm working on an resource for OpenChange (aka the
Microsoft Exchange RPC protocols). I'm having a problem with the concept
though. Currently I fetch all the messages/contacts/appointments etc in
synchronizeCollection().

I've read the API docs, especially this part:

To follow item changes in the backend, the following steps are necessary:
- Implement synchronizeCollection() to synchronize all items in the given
collection. You have to do item synchronization manually here, there are
no convenience methods provided as for collections (yet).
- Call collectionSynchronized() when done.

To fetch item data on demand, the method requestItemDelivery() needs to be
reimplemented. Fetch the requested data there, create an ItemStoreJob to
store the data and call deliverItem().

...but I'm still confused. What does "synchronize all items in the given
collection" mean in practice?

The problem is that the OpenChange folder has a set of sub-folders, and they
can contain folders or items. Is the Akonadi design meant to have
synchronizeCollection() just get a reference to all the items, and
requestItemDelivery() actually provide the content?

I've committed the basic code into kdepim/akonadi/resources/openchange/, and
any advice would be most appreciated.

As a separate issue, is there a good tool for working with appointments etc
(i.e. KCal::Incidence) in Akonadi-land.

Brad