[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Mon Sep 3 19:11:51 BST 2007

Hello,

On Sunday 02 September 2007, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 01 September 2007 19:00, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > SVN commit 707368 by tmcguire:
> >
> > - deprecated--
> > - tabs--
> >
> > In this commit, I again broke config compatibility :(
> >
> > The reason is that the unfiltered sernum list for IMAP
> > accounts is stored top-level in a config file, without
> > any group.
> > Now, all readEntry calls without a group are deprecated,
> > which means we have to use a group in order to remove
> > KDE3SUPPORT. I used the group "Default".
>
> I wonder whether it is really necessary to use KConfig for this simple
> config file. Instead we might consider using QSettings.
>
> [..]
>
> > It also seems that writing an update script is not
> > possible at all, as the .upd file wants to have a filename.
> > And the filename for the sernums here includes the account
> > ID, so there is no way to specifiy this files in the
> > .upd file.
>
> The update script can start arbitrary executables. So it would be
> possible to write a simple KDE application to do the update. But I
> think using QSettings instead of KConfig is a way easier solution.
>
> > And I just also realized that I did the same with POP
> > (already downloaded UID list)...
>
> I guess here the QSettings solution would also work.
>
> > Anybody got a solution for this?
> > If not, the list of downloaded POP UIDs and the list
> > of unfiltered IMAP sernums will get lost during the
> > upgrade.
>
> I'm not sure about the unfiltered IMAP sernums, but losing the POP UIDs
> is unacceptable. Please look into using QSettings.
Ok, Dirk told me about the undocumented "<default>" group, which acts as a top
level group. I used that instead (r708020). I also documented this in the API
documentation for KConfigGroup, so that other can find this as well.

I also reverted the transport related changes (r708036).
Now config compatibility for KMail should be restored.
Sorry for all the mess.

Regards,
Thomas