[Kde-pim] Sending emails via KMail or MailTransport library?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Sep 29 19:59:49 BST 2007

On Saturday 29 September 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op za 29 sep 2007 20:25 schreef u:
> > Email sending should eventually also be available through D-Bus, probably
> > as a service to complement Akonadi.
> >
> > Actually, since "sending email" often also means storing a copy in a
> > certain mail folder, such a service might be an Akonadi agent itself.
>
> Not every user uses kmail / akonadi. It is very easy to use
> kpimidentities/mailtransport. Not saying that every user uses
> kpimidentities/mailtransport, but at least the audience is bigger (at least
> by 1).

Sorry, I probably phrased this badly.

I didn't mean to imply that applications would not use those APIs, I rather
wanted to voice my opinion that mail sending capability would be a nice
addition to the (via D-Bus) shared infrastructure.

Even if we recommend that KDE applications rather use the APIs directly (the
service implementation obviously would do this as well), sending mail is
often interesting for third party applications as well (e.g. OpenOffice.org).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring