[Kde-pim] Sending emails via KMail or MailTransport library?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Sep 29 19:25:37 BST 2007

On Saturday 29 September 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op za 29 sep 2007 20:04 schreef u:
> > >
> > > Yes, you can use that directly. It even has a ready to use kcm to
> > > integrate in your settings.
> >
> > I've had a look at the mailtransport library, but I'm not sure it does
> > what I want. The user currently has a simple configuration choice of
> > sending via KMail or via sendmail, and I don't want to have to concern
> > the user with any email settings beyond that. In addition, for each
> > email, he can select which KMail identity to use as the sender identity.
> >
> > I don't see how to use mailtransport without much more setting up than
> > this. If I'm right, I would still want to use KMail to transmit emails,
> > but it doesn't seem any longer to have the equivalent of the KDE3 DCOP
> > function sendMessage() in MailTransportServiceIface.
>
> In that case, use the kpimidentities library to get all the identities you
> want. The identity can hold the mailtransport to use.

Email sending should eventually also be available through D-Bus, probably as a
service to complement Akonadi.

Actually, since "sending email" often also means storing a copy in a certain
mail folder, such a service might be an Akonadi agent itself.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring