[Kde-pim] harddisk access when starting kontact/kmail

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Mon Oct 8 21:10:20 BST 2007

Hello!

When I start kontact/kmail it asks for the kwallet-password. Then it checks
for new email. Yet even if there is no internet-connection, i.e. the check
fails, kmail/kontact accesses the harddisk for >10 seconds thereby slowing
down KDE starting other applications.

If the check does not fail downloading and processing email is slowed down
too, because of the extensive harddisk access. If I understand the strace
output correctly it tries to find some icons.

access("/usr/share/icons/hicolor/192x192/apps/quotecollapse.svg", R_OK) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
access("/opt/gnome/share/icons/hicolor/192x192/apps/quotecollapse.svg", R_OK)
= -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Is there another way to do whatever this is for in order not to keep the
harddisk busy?

Regards

Sven

The full log: http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/sven.burmeister/stracelog.txt