[Kde-pim] KPIMIdentities::IdentityManager deprecated methods

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Sat Oct 6 22:07:16 BST 2007

On Friday 05 October 2007 00:35:49 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 04 October 2007 01:43, David Jarvie wrote:
> > KPIMIdentities::IdentityManager::identityForName() is deprecated (and
> > apparently has been for a long time). What method should be used
> > instead?
>
> KPIMIdentities::IdentityManager::identityForUoid()
>
> The name of an identity can be changed by the user but the numerical ID
> will always stay the same. Therefore identities should always be
> identified by their ID and never by their name.

I've now marked this and 3 other methods as KDE_DEPRECATED. But I think that
KPIMIdentities::IdentityManager::identityForName() is actually necessary,
since there are circumstances when it is reasonable to convert from a name to
a uoid - for example, when converting old config files. Perhaps a better
solution would be to add a new method IdentityManager::uoidForIdentityName().
This would allow for the case I mention, without being quite so tempting to
use in deprecated ways.

This would be best added by tomorrow if possible, to be in time for the KDE
development system tagging.

Do you agree?

--
David Jarvie.