[Kde-pim] KOrganizer UI problems

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 21:42:14 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 08:30:54 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > I'm not convinced this is the best solution. Most novice users don't know
> > what tooltips are and KDE's tooltips are so inconsistent I don't think
> > even advanced users would look.
> On what do you base this statement? Tooltips are a well known concept not
> only in KDE and users get them by virtually "doing nothing".
I base the prior part on my (admitedly limited) HCI studies at university and
also on the fact I've never seen a family member or girlfriend ever use
tooltips on any piece of software, FOSS or otherwise.

> The concept of the arrows (without further explanations) is so common that
> I think doing something unusual like adding some single letters to them
> would only be confusing.

> I also think that tooltips are the way to go. It's so easy to find out what
> the buttons are doing just by clicking them and there are even other more
> explicit ways to navigate to other dates that I don't think it's worth the
> problems caused by adding text there.
Yeh, fair enough, I'm aware the discussion has gone to excessive lengths
considering that the action isn't in any way destructive. I guess I just
wanted to bring it up so people maybe consider it in other areas :)

Apologies for the rants :D

Mike Arthur