[Kde-pim] Make KDE PIM 4 installable in parallel to KDE PIM 3

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Oct 21 14:29:27 BST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I was wondering, if it would make sense to make KDE PIM 4 installable in
> parallel to KDE PIM 3. KDE PIM and especially KMail are applications which
> users expect to be rock-solid, so there might be some users who are not
> comforable with switching to KDE PIM 4 with the 4.0 release, but still
> might want to be able to try it out or switch for some applications.
>
> What would that involve?
> - Appending a 4 to the binary name, e.g. "kmail4", "korganizer4",
> "kontact4". - Make sure that configuration and data is not conflicting. I'm
> not sure how this can be done in the best way. Switching to a different
> KDEHOME for specific applications would be a solution, but I don't know if
> that is feasible.

I think having a separate KDEHOME just for a couple of applications will
become very difficult to support, especially if later versions could use the
main KDEHOME again.

> - Provide some import of config and data from KDE PIM 3 to KDE PIM 4
> applications.

I am not sure I understand this. Does it mean that right now KDE PIM 4
applications can not read their version 3 config files?

> What do you think? Any ideas how to achieve it? Is it necessary at all?

There might even be less to gain than we assume. Distributions which will use
the same prefix for KDE3 and KDE4, e.g. because this is policy (Debian and
derivatives), will very likely already struggle to get kdelibs and parts for
kdebase (runtime) installable in parallel and will very likely just
have "hardcoded" conflicts for all other packages.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring