[Kde-pim] progress

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Fri Oct 12 17:01:06 BST 2007

On 10/12/07, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at umdnj.edu> wrote:

> Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> > KPilot's hard-working team of 2.5 have been spending their time getting
> as
> > much done in preparation for KDE4 as possible.  KPilot's lib, daemon,
> main
> > UI, and configuration screens have been ported and are operational.  Due
> > a very aggressive Summer of Code project and lots of Real Life (TM)
> thrown
> > in, not all of the old conduits have been ported yet, which means that
> > calendar, todo, and address syncing won't be functional until KDE's
> > 4.1release.  The good news is that
> > 3.5.8's KPilot is the most stable release to date.  The focus in KPilot
> for
> > KDE4 has been to clean up as much cruft as possible, to establish a
> solid
> > foundation that all of the conduits will now share, and to create a new
> > conduit in place to exercise that base code (namely, Bertjan's new
> keyring
> > conduit).
>
> OK, but here's my problem -- what happens when/if I upgrade to KDE 4.0?
> Do I not get KPilot? Do I get a KPilot that is there and will execute
> but "not all old conduits" function (why would anyone run KPilot if not
> for calendar, todo, and address? isn't that the entire point of the
> application)?

You can still use KPilot from KDE 3.5.8 and have it point to your
vcal/ical/vcf/whatever files that you're using with your KDE4 apps.  If you
use the KPilot that will come with KDE 4.0, then you will be able to sync
memofiles and keyring database information, and that's about it, unless we
get some people to help us port the old conduits.

I'm not trying to bust chops here, but people use this for productivity.
> A broken release is almost worse than no release at all. The best case,
> it sounds like (and maybe this is exactly what you're doing, but it's
> not stated here) is to release KDE 3.5.8 with KDE4, but what you had
> written indicates that all of the KDE3 code was removed. Perhaps this is
> from a different branch?

Um...  So, I'll avoid my first reaction of saying "we, the KPilot team
(which currently has 0 fully active developers) will gladly accept any and
all help in getting the conduit code ported and functional so we can have
that working with KDE 4.0's release"...  =;)

I'm totally aware that not having KPilot's conduits ported and fully
operational in time for 4.0 sucks.  I don't like it one bit.  But that's
where we are right now and I don't have any time or resources to make it
better.  =:(  And no, we can't release KPilot from 3.5.8 as a part of KDE
4.0, being that it's not at all ported to Qt/KDE 4.  And it's not that the
KDE3 code was removed in the conduits... it's still there in some shape.
Much of it even compiles.  But the porting effort in the conduits has been
mainly Laurent, Pino, and others converting Qt/KDE3 to Qt/KDE4 with scripts
and hand-tweaking.  I've not had the time to go into the code at all.  And
iirc, the address conduit is not even being compiled at this point.  And
what has been "ported" is in large sections spiced with "#warning this is
really badly ported" and #ifdef'd out.

I'm more than open to any ideas on how to make this better.  =:/

Thanks, Ryan.  =:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-