[Kde-pim] troubleshooting tips?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 17:50:36 BST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 17:44, Timothy Cahill wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Ingo
>
> I appreciate your suggestion to upgrade to 1.9.7 and I will attempt
> this if I am unable to resolve the RPM/distribution issue I'm
> encountering. (I have tried with KDE to stay with OpenSuse-specific
> RPMs until now).
>
> I understand that this is a community with very distributed
> responsibilities and I'd like to give back as much as I (not a
> programmer) can, so I'm hoping that I can help to isolate the issue
> and feed that back to the distribution...
>
> With that in mind, the rpm with the issue is at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_10.2/i586/

Hmm, those seem to be the most recent RPMs. I was confused because you
said you were using KMail 1.9.6, but maybe the version number in the
Enterprise branch was not incremented to 1.9.7. Anyway, I thought this
issue had already been reported quite some time ago and had already
been fixed, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

> Perhaps someone involved in that distribution will see this post and
> get involved.

Will, do you copy?

> At the same time, I'm wondering if there are any debug switches that
> I can use to troubleshoot KMail's email checking/downloading. Using
> network analysis tools, I am not seeing any network port activity
> when Kmail is supposed to be checking mail.

Most likely KMail thinks it is already checking for mail and therefore
does not start another mail check. OpenSUSE does provide special debug
builds which can be used to get some debug output. After installing the
debug builds of kdepim you should start KMail manually from Konsole
(via the command 'kmail').

> Can someone link me to any discussion/documentation on KMail's
> networking components?

I think apart from the various mailing list archives (kmail-devel,
kde-pim, kdepim-users) there isn't that much documentation.

Regards,
Ingo