[Kde-pim] progress

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Fri Oct 12 14:25:41 BST 2007

On 10/12/07, Bertjan Broeksema <b.broeksema at kdemail.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 11 October 2007 21:30:05 Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 October 2007 5:00:03 am Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > I haven't seen too many blogs about the KDE pim progress in beta 3.
> > > Could anyone write something about the current status and the
> > > improvements done over the last few months? Preferably in a blog, so I
> > > can link to it ;-)
> >
> > Jos,
> >
> > An overview:
>
> <snip>
>
> > KPIlot.. no idea.  vanRijn?
>
> Currently the gui code and the kpilot lib are completly ported to KDE4/Qt4
> so
> no more Qt3/KDE3 support in there. We're still working on finishing the
> the
> base conduit code. The base conduit does syncing already quite well as
> proven
> by the Keyring conduit which I wrote and which is quite useable already.

Um, yeah, what Bertjan said...

Next thing to do is writing some code to handle category syncing between a
> pc
> datastore and the handheld datastore. When this is finished we can start
> porting the other conduits to the base conduit framework. I don't expect
> that
> the porting will be a too trivial task, but it should be relatively easy
> when
> the base conduit is working well.

KPilot has apparently never been able to sync category information to the
Palm, which is a major pain in the butt.  So the next thing on the list,
like Bertjan said, is getting this fixed.

However, currently vanRijn and I as well are a bit busy with real life. So I
> don't expect KPilot ready for the 4.0 release (correct me if i'm wrong
> vanRijn =:).

Yep.  Actually, I was just thinking that I need to blog about the current
state of affairs in KPilot/trunk this morning...  I was really hoping that
we'd be fully ported and operational by now, but we're just not there yet.
And my spare time is about to go even more in the toilet again for a little
bit with switching jobs, doing home-owner-ish stuff, selling a house, moving
cross-country again, etc.

So...  like Bertjan said, KPilot's lib, daemon, main UI, and configuration
screens are ported and operational.  We currently do not have all of the old
conduits ported over yet, which means that calendar, todo, and address
syncing are not there yet.  The good news is that 3.5.8's KPilot is the best
evar...  =;)  Our focus in KDE4 has been to clean up as much cruft as
possible, to establish a solid foundation that all of the conduits will now
share, and to create a new conduit in place to exercise that base code
(namely, Bertjan's new keyring conduit).

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-