[Kde-pim] Make KDE PIM 4 installable in parallel to KDE PIM 3

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Oct 21 17:14:46 BST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 21 October 2007 15:29:27 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > There might even be less to gain than we assume. Distributions which will
> > use the same prefix for KDE3 and KDE4, e.g. because this is policy
> > (Debian and derivatives), will very likely already struggle to get
> > kdelibs and parts for kdebase (runtime) installable in parallel and will
> > very likely just have "hardcoded" conflicts for all other packages.
>
> I don't think there should be conflicts in the platform. The libraries have
> other versions and the binary from base have a 4 prefix.

Some applications might want to install data files, e.g. KAddressBook has CSV
templates which are installed into prefix/share/apps/kaddressbook. A KDE PIM
4 package would have to use prefix/share/apps/kaddressbook4 or rename all the
files.

There might be applications specific artwork, maybe stylesheets for printing,
etc.

I am not saying it can't be done, but I am afraid that it would be a pretty
extensive job. Basically one needs to check every file from a version 3 "make
install" with every file of a version 4 "make install" and rename all
conflicts (either the files or their directories)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring