[Kde-pim] Make KDE PIM 4 installable in parallel to KDE PIM 3

Sune Vuorela debian at pusling.com
Mon Oct 22 21:07:31 BST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> I hope it doesn't come to this.
> If there are KDEPIM4 apps that are cause data loss or *really suck*
> then we I think we simply shouldn't build them in the toplevel
> CMakeLists.txt.

Hi!

Wearing my debian packagers hat:
I don't think it is worth it. we don't plan to try to ship both and make them
coinstallable.
We are only looking for getting the desktop worknig with "the other" set of
applications, but general coinstallability is not something we aim for.

I agree that apps that eat your data or really suck shouldn't be released..

> Which reminds me of an idea I had...  we could have stuff like this in
> our top-level CMakeLists.txt files to exclude apps that aren't
> "KDE4.0-ready"
>
> if (NOT ${KDE_ENABLE_FINAL})
> add_subdirectory(appfoo)
> endif(NOT ${KDE_ENABLE_FINAL})

Unrelated to the coinstallability issue, but ...
ENABLE_FINAL is at least earlier used by the for i in *.cpp ; do cat $i >>
bigfile.cpp ; done; g++ bigfile.cpp approach in kde3, so using it for this
would at best be misleading.

And I might actually like it the other way around. -DINSANITY_LEVEL_HIGH  if
those apps should be built.

> then appfoo won't be built if the distro packagesuse 'cmake
> -DKDE_ENABLE_FINAL'.
>
> I guess what I'm really saying/asking: we need to put some responsibility
> on the distro packagers to help us make a KDE 4.0 desktop work.

if you prepare the software nice and bug free, we would like to ship it even
yesterday ;)

> -Allen

/Sune

--
I cannot install the mailer over the connector from Windows NT, how does it
work?

You cannot reset a Ultra-wide hardware to insert on the mouse.