[Kde-pim] KMail: Broken icons in mail folder when manually editing a mail file

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Mon Nov 19 14:25:51 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Sunday 18 November 2007, Johannes Jowereit wrote:
> sometimes I manually edit the e-mail files in the KMail folder (mostly
> deleting "In-Reply-To" and "References" header lines to avoid incorrect
> sorting of messages which someone has sent me by just replying to my old
> ones).
>
> However, when I start Kontact/KMail after that, the folder containing this
> e-mail seems to be broken (all my sent messages which I keep in that folder
> have a "normal" message icon, not a "sent" one).
>
> I know this is not a KMail bug (since I shouldn't really manually edit the
> e-mail file, but KMail can't to that :-), but could someone nevertheless
> tell me how I can avoid that?
I don't know about that specific bug, but you can create a filter which
deletes the headers, this probably avoids the problem.

Under Settings->Configure filters, create a new filter:
Criteria:
size greater or equal to 0 bytes
Actions:
Remove Header: In-Reply-To
Remove Header: References
Advanced:
[ ] Apply this filter to incoming messages
[ ] Apply this filter to manual filtering
[x] Add this filter to the toolbar

You then have a new toolbar button which allows you to fix thread hijacking.

Regards,
Thomas