[Kde-pim] KMobileTools

Markus Feilner mfeilner at feilner-it.net
Sun May 27 13:16:16 BST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 24. Mai 2007 18:17:46 schrieb Marco Gulino:
> Il Thursday 24 May 2007 17:57:02 Cornelius Schumacher ha scritto:
> > Which ones are there and which ones are planned?
>
> I'd say everything, except writing to the phone calendar.
> Also the p2k kioslave is not working, but it's due to the share library
> (p2kmoto) which is not maintained.
> Anyway, kmobiletools is splitted in core app/engine, so what does work and
> what does not depends on the engine you want to use (currently at engine
> and gammu, which is not yet fully working)
>
> > What does exporting in KAddressBook mean?
>
> KMobiletools can export a VCF file, and add it as a resource in
> KAddressBook. Also it can save each entry (or a group of selected entries)
> KABC::StdAddressBook
>
> > It makes a lot of sense to let KitchenSync (i.e. OpenSync) do the syncing
> > part. I'm still wondering how this works together with KMobileTools,
> > though. Does "no real sync" mean "no sync" or "a sync which only works in
> > some cases"? KMobileTools doesn't use OpenSync or KitchenSync yet, right?
>
> "No real sync" means "i can grab contacts from the phone, and i can save
> contacts TO the phone too, but there's no control about duplicated
> entries". KMobiletools doesn't use opensync nor kitchensync, but we'd like
> to make a separated engine for that

I would like to add that the extent of the features "working" depend also on
the phone you are using. With a Nokia 6230i for example, I can save my
address book and sms list to disk, but I cannot save the addressbook to the
mobile phone, nor can I delete SMS on the phone. Sometimes I can send SMS,
sometimes not... :-) Also with my old siemens me45 some years ago many
features already worked.
The Nokia works (partly) with kmobiletools 0.4.3.3 on Suse 10.2 [.0, .1] and
Ubuntu [6,7], both with bluetooth. However, saving SMS and the addressbook is
enough for me at the moment.
[BTW, GPRS-Bluetooth Online Services are working too, but that's not
kmobiletools' job.] I tried several nokia phones with a parallel or USB
cable, without success. Bluetooth seems better choice, unless you're running
Kubuntu 6.x which seemed to lack some GNOME bluetooth authentication
libraries standard Ubuntu had.

I am looking forward to the stable 0.5!

A very happy Thanks to all the developers!

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Markus Feilner

Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Koetztingerstr 6c                93057 Regensburg
fon regensburg                  +49 941 8107989
mobil                           +49 170 3027092=20
www: www.feilner-it.net mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net