[Kde-pim] KPilot developers notes for May 14th

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon May 14 17:42:38 BST 2007

[[ It's been a long long time since I published KPilot developer's notes.
There was a period that I did very little work on KPilot, but in the past
months with the support of pusling (updating Debian packages) and perplexity
(testing bits and pieces) and of course Jason & Bertjan's development work --
Bertjan will also be working on a Google Summer of Code project on KPilot --
there has been progress, and I think we should publicize that. ]]

Executive summary:
* Lots of fixes went into KDE 3.5.7 (but do keep making backups).
* KPilow was resurrected in KDE4 trunk and a lot of work went into porting.

2007-05-14  Adriaan de Groot
* KDE4 port in trunk now builds kpilot, daemon, conduits.
* KDE4 port removes log viewer from kpilot, simplifies viewer UI.
* KDE4 icons request pushed upstream to artists.
* Functionality of several viewers still broken in KDE4.
* QTextCodec changes partly caught; this will require a good deal of
  testing, which is a pain as long as we don't have suitable tools
  for checking the results.
* Open questions for KDE3 backporting:
  - Do same move of logwidget to daemon?
  - Do same UI simplification?

2007-04-15  Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper
* merging all development and bug fixes from kdepim-3.5.5+ branch into
  stable branches/KDE/3.5 in preparation for KDE 3.5.7
* cmake cleanups
* namespacing and cleanups in sysinfoconduit
* lots of debugging cleanups.  remove #ifdef DEBUG from much of the code.
* cleanups in memofile conduit.  now try to use new (OS5) database
(MemosDB-PMem) if it's found, otherwise fall back to the legacy one
  (MemoDB)
* as a first step to combatting the "kpilot ate my future" e-mails (read:
  data loss), we now use a CUDCounter (Create/Update/Delete). step 1 is to
track these and report on them to the user in their sync log.  step 2 is
  to catch ill behavior and prompt the user as to whether or not to allow
  kpilot to make the large amount of changes.  step 3 is to allow the user
  to configure the count or percentage of changes that kpilot can make
  without his/her confirmation.  step 1 is done. we'll approach steps 2 and
  3 post kde 3.5.7.
* new strings related to the above
* bug fixing in popconduit... making sure we always have a sent date
* Bertjan has the start of knotes cleanup going on
* bug fixing in vcalconduit... long-time bug that existed in libkcal that
  caused every calendar resource save to mark every calendar event as
  modified.  now kpilot won't have to sync every record every time.
* bug fixing kabc resource problems in abbrowser conduit.  although it's
  not documented in kabc, it looks like we should be removing a local
  resource from the address book before we delete it.
* bringing mal conduit back alive again.  none of our small band of merry
  men use it, though, so it may or may not actually do what it's supposed
  to.
* fixing bug where we were saving conduit databases to DBBackup instead of
  conduits/ directory.
* changing KPilotDeviceLink to use a separate thread, dedicated to doing
  device communication.  this is much better design as a start, but fixes
  the problems kpilot was having (and widely talked about) where kpilot
  would hang and crash if our user was using "usb:" or "net:any" devices
  because of how these new "device"s operated (allowed immediate opening,
  even though there is no physical device connected, and then hung
  indefinitely until the real device connected).
* bringing in design documents (jpegs) for memofile conduit from 2004-12-12
  (they're not installed, but are valuable for documentation and insight)
* icon naming error bug fix 122582

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/