[Kde-pim] Akonadi datamodel questions

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu May 24 09:44:16 BST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 16:54:09 Robert Zwerus wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2007, Volker Krause wrote:
> > well, there are basically two kinds of abstractions we could have there:
> > on a SQL database level or on an completely storage-neutral level. We
> > more or less have the first thanks to QSQL with some conditional code for
> > generating the tables, but most of the code deals directly with objects
> > representing records in the database. We intentionally didn't introduce
> > any higher level of abstraction to reduce the work. Is there any non-sql
> > backend that would be interesting to support?
>
> Maybe a maildir-like system, where each item would have its own file in the
> filesystem. It would involve a lot of work creating it, but since a lot of
> mail servers use it, it might have advantages ;-).

Right, this is a very important case for the actual content data. But while
the content data is certainly the largest part, it's only one out out of many
different fields we currently store in the database, most of which we don't
want to store directly in the filesystem I guess.

So, what we might want to do is: Full abstraction for storing the actual
content data and QSQL-level abstraction for everything else. This would be a
compromise between flexibility and the amount of work needed.

Does this make sense?

regards
Volker