[Kde-pim] [Job] K3Process should be replaced by QProcess

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Tue May 15 21:03:45 BST 2007

Hi,

I heard people are looking for cool jobs. So, anyone interested in a porting task?

Where:
kdepimlibs/mailtransport/sendmailjob.*

What:
Currently based on K3Process and should be ported to QProcess

sendmailjob deals with the communication with the sendmail command when sending mail. It receives the email and passes it on to the command line call. The class needs to be ported to QProcess which has a different API compared to the old KProcess.

Possible problems:
Large parts of that code deals with buffering the data, I think to keep the gui responsive. I believe QProcess itself does the buffering now, but I do not know if this is sufficient. You will need to find out (or someone will reply with the answer ;-))

Testing:
You can test the results with Mailody or KNode. Both can be used to send email to the sendmail command line.

Bonus points:
Look at the KMail bugs reported against it and fix those (I recall at least one, which was that recipients starting with a "-" are not working (it will probably be parsed as an argument to the command line)).

gr.

Toma