[Kde-pim] Fwd: Google SoC Project Idea: Kontact Exchange

Rob Hasselbaum rob at hasselbaum.net
Wed Mar 7 16:17:52 GMT 2007

On 03/07/2007 01:54 AM, Sheldon Cumming wrote:
> Also, what is the use case for this work? The maverick linux user in a
> microsoft shop? Sure, I guess KDE 4 will work on Windows as well, but
> if you're running windows then IT has probably put outlook on your
> machine already. If IT has already made a choice for exchange, then
> you'll probably run into a lot of fun ActiveX enabled pages, etc, etc,
> likely the tip of the iceberg.

That's me! Well, sort of. My company standardized on Exchange/Outlook by
inertia, but we're not really a Microsoft shop. For good reasons or bad,
Exchange is the de facto standard. So I'd love to see better integration
with it. I've played with disconnect IMAP. It's hard to set up and
meeting invites and calendar sync don't work quite right. This is
unfortunate, as I've had to resort to running Outlook under VMWare to
play well with the rest of the company.