[Kde-pim] vzic (Was:libical 0.27 is now available)

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Tue Mar 27 00:17:49 BST 2007

Am Dienstag, 27. März 2007 schrieb Allen Winter:
> The generated America/New_York.ics is attached .
> Please review and let me know if it looks ok.

It looks okay, but I wonder why the dates for past DST rules are expanded to
RDATE:19870405T020000
RDATE:19880403T020000
RDATE:19890402T020000
RDATE:19900401T020000
RDATE:19910407T020000
RDATE:19920405T020000
RDATE:19930404T020000
RDATE:19940403T020000
RDATE:19950402T020000
RDATE:19960407T020000
RDATE:19970406T020000
RDATE:19980405T020000
RDATE:19990404T020000

 instead of simply using an RRULE with an UNTIL rule part... E.g. RFC 2445
gives such an example:
     BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
     DTSTART:19870405T020000
     RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=4;UNTIL=19980404T070000Z
     TZOFFSETFROM:-0500
     TZOFFSETTO:-0400
     TZNAME:EDT
     END:DAYLIGHT

This is much shorter...

> Interestingly, the default behavior of vzic is to write
> the .ics files to be compatible with Outlook 2000.

Yes, because older versions of outlook were only able to handle one DAYLIGHT
section... (See the MSDN  documentation for some support articles on that).

Since we are not (yet?) using the VTIMEZONE objects for creating new files,
that does not matter for us now. But for the future we have to decide whether
we try to stay outlook-compatible or not..

> When I run it in default mode the resulting .ics
> files are identical to that found in libical-0.27.

Yes, Art said that he simply imported the snipplets from fzic

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --
email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/