[Kde-pim] Status of kdepimlibs

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 10:07:23 BST 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 09:01, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 08:00:59AM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > How does khalkhi do data loading and saving?
>
> It doesn't do it at the moment, but it would use libakonadi to
> fetch/store the data from the akonadi storage.

Why would accessing the storage fall into the area of khalkhi and not libkabc?
I guess I haven't understood yet, what khalkhi is all about. Could somebody
point me to an overview about the architecture.

> Well, code generation is nice when you have to write a lot of code which
> often changes, however the code of libkabc hasn't changed for hmm, 3 years
> or more? So using code generation seems to be overkill here.

Well, the last change done through the code generator was just a month ago
(the translations hints). So I don't think it's overkill. Especially as we
gain exactly nothing by removing the working solution.

> > >   - replace the homebrewn shared data approach with
> > > QSharedData/QSharedDataPtr
> >
> > What do you mean with "homebrewn shared data approach"?
>
> KShared, in comparison to QSharedData it's just ugly ;)

Ah, ok.

> > >   - clean up API (change it to a container which just stores data)
> >
> > What would that exactly mean?
>
> The whole resource handling is removed from kabc and the classes are
> just used for storing data during runtime. khalkhi will fill them with
> data from akonadi.

The resource handling is somehow separate, that's true. I'm not sure, we can
remove it now. That would either mean that we are able to port KDE PIM to
Akonadi for 4.0 or that we are not releasing with 4.0. We have to take this
decision at some time (before June 1st), but I don't think we can already do
that now.

> > >   - add some helper functions (e.g. normalizePhoneNumber)
> >
> > That sounds like a good idea?
>
>                              ^^^ Is this really a question?

Aehm, no? ;-)