[Kde-pim] Summer of Code Proposal: Journal Improvements

Christian Weilbach christian_weilbach at web.de
Sun Mar 18 01:58:22 GMT 2007

Hi,

> This isn't a formal proposal yet, just a shout-out for some of the mailing
> list rather than IRC crowd.
>
> Basically, I was thinking of improving the Journal in Kontact for my
> possible SoC project.
>
> The main task I would focus on improving is the ability to post journals as
> blog posts, a feature half implemented in a branch already.
It is not half implemented really. There is quite some work to do, which I did
already ;-)
Have a look at KBlog (http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/pim/kblog/). I've
got it to a quite usable state recently (at least the feature complete unit
tests work with my wordpress server for both Blogger API 1.0 and MetaWeblog
API, but that doesn't mean there are most likely some bugs and cleanup left).
The documentation is almost complete now, so projects like the KJournal
resource should be able to implement now. I would propose to work together on
implementing the resource for KOrganizer, since I'm currently trying to add
Blogger API 2.0 / Atom API support.
Question to the mailing list: Should one use akonadi or kresource at the
moment for the blogging resource?
Note: KBlog is based on KDE 4 and that way I wouldn't like to hack on the
KDEPIM 3 series of KOrganizer.
Additionally I will add a C++ Plasmoid once Plasma gets to a usable state (and
like to add DBUS to both the KJournal Resource and the Plasmoid if possible).
Maybe scripting is also possible.
> Moving on from
> this, I would like to add a WYSISWG editor, clean up some features such as
> removing the attendee journal entries, allowing them to form a ToDo list,
> adding photos and some of the other items on the wishlist here:
> http://bugs.kde.org/simple_search.cgi?id=journal
Sounds good from my blog perspective, since fotos can be used via MetaWeblog
API (at least be posted to the server).

> Basically, I wanted to know how happy people would be for me to do this,
> and who would be willing to mentor me and talk about the project.
I'm not a pro in programming myself (I am a student, too ;-) ). I would
suggest to have a look at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2007/Ideas , especially the
KOrganizer Theming part seems to be really nice in my opinion.
I would really like to see a DBUS interface to the Calendar, too. I'd like to
have some applet on my Desktop showing the ToDos ( or maybe my Calendar).
Cheers,
Christian