[Kde-pim] KDE PIM and 4.0

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 20:55:19 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 18:02, Wade Olson wrote:

> I was chatting with Aaron on the ev-marketing mailing list, and
> dicussing ways to stimulate interest in Kontact and KDE PIM for 4.0
> and beyond.

That's great. We definitely need more active developers. Although Allen is
already acting like he has five clones, we easily have work for a dozen more
of them.

> Some initial thoughts:
>
> * Call for developers (Dot and blogs)

These usually tend to not have a very remarkable effect, but it still might be
worth a try. Just please don't do it the usual boring "The world is so
horrible because nobody works on my project. Please help me, I'm desperate."
way.

> * Scheduling more weekend bug squashing/porting meetings (and try to
> draw new people)

I like that idea. Of course this needs active developers to coach new people.
Bootstrap problems.

> * Assist in any upcoming KDE PIM/akonadi developer sprint

If you can turn hot air into spare time for developers, this would help. Other
than that I don't see too much obstacles for sprints.

> * Work with comp sci departments to use KDE PIM in assignments,
> projects, thesis work, etc.

That also would be nice. Again there is a bootstrapping problem, though.

> Note the latter is a larger effort we're investigating for KDE EDU,
> KOffice and KDE PIM.  The scope could be rather large (depending on
> how adventerous we are).

Don't expect too much from that. Although it would be nice to get some
students doing projects in the area of KDE PIM, the most valuable
contributors are those who have an inherent motivation independent of any
formal project, work or other formal activities and do it just because they
want to (even if they are told that their patch is completely wrong and not
even adheres to the coding style).

> Anyway, let me know how I (and KDE promo) can help.

I see two main reasons which make it hard to find enough new developers for
KDE PIM:

First, KDE PIM doesn't create hype. It doesn't appear as cool as some other
projects do. People usually don't faint due to excitement when looking at the
KDE PIM applications or the KDE PIM source code. This of course has reasons.
The code base and the applications are some of the biggest and most
challenging on the desktop, they include lots of functionality and a
tremendous amount of history, and they are not the natural subject for bling,
because they handle data which is most valuable to the user. Being sexy
doesn't help you if you delete precious mails. So you better are damn stable.
Unfortunately that's not what the youth from today attracts primarily.

That said, and I reveal a secret here, Kontact actually is damn cool. It's the
source of a wide variety of amazing technology and the applications have so
many hidden and non-hidden gems in them that it's hard to believe that there
are people which even consider using other apps for getting their life under
control. I could expand on that, but that would probably get us quickly in
pretty heavy technical details.

Second, the KDE PIMsters are a bunch of bloody brilliant people. That sounds
like a great thing, but it's a curse as well. Because brilliant people have
brilliant ideas and these are usually slightly larger than what they can
realistically implement until the next release. So writing a boring mail
reading tool would be easy for us, but the goal to write the best personal
information management application under the sun of course brings us to our
limits. Unfortunately it's also a no-brainer to hire KDE PIM developers. So
instead of being healthily unemployed the developers usually have to choose
from too many interesting things to do, and while of course KDE PIM is the
only true way to satisfaction, getting real money is something KDE PIM
developer usually are not stupid enough to reject. So in some way KDE PIM is
eaten by its own success.

So, Wade, what can you and the promo team do to help finding new developers
for KDE PIM? Maybe the most important thing would be to tell the world about
how cool KDE PIM actually is. This might help to overcome some of the
prejudices which exist about our code and it might help to fuel KDE PIM with
more brilliant people than are eaten away by our own success. If we can turn
KDE PIM into a catalyst for software talent we could be able to achieve the
amazing results for KDE 4 and beyond we and our users deserve.

> PS-Not on any PIM mailing lists, be sure to explicitly include me in
> any responses.

You are missing all the fun...