[Kde-pim] Akonadi design questions

Christian Schaarschmidt schaarsc at gmx.de
Mon Jun 11 22:05:32 BST 2007

> > I did some more doc reading. most of the documentation is available in
> > doxy files, so techbase might not be such a good idea after all ... ;-)
> > what about these ideas?
> > - use bug.kde.org for todos, to seperate from real bugs we could use
> > special component or target release. always up to date, you can
> > assign/take the todo and close it with svn-commit
>
> interessting idea, I don't have any particullar preferrence here. But I
> agree we need one maintained Akonadi todo list somewhere. With more and
> more people getting interested in helping this would certainly help.

ok, then lets try it ;-) where do we get a
new product:akonadi
               new component:server
              new component: lib
              new component: resource

maybe a topic to be discussed with the other pim-guys at aKademy ?
they might get "angry" if we start "poluting" bugs.kde.org with TODOs.

> that all makes sense, feel free to change that stuff.

ok

> Thanks a lot for your work, it happens not very often there is someone
> voluntarily helps with the docs ;-)

don't "worry", that is just until I can start coding.
I'll try to insert your answers were I see it fits, to be prepared for the
next newbie ;-)

this time I spent some time on thinking on the design it self. I would like to
hear/discuss what you had planed to solve this topics:

server/src/cachecleaner.cpp
+    int expireTime = qMax( 5, policy.expireTime() );
//why this 5 minutes minimum expireTime? I don't think this is documented...

imap resource
  with caching disabled, how does kmail get informed about new mail?
  as far as I understand it, no caching means no db-entry, hence no
  SIGNAL

LDAP
  How should searching be done?   downloading the complete LDAP directory
  might not be possible/reasonable. Even if we do download we will never know
  if our copy is complete. nepomuk will only know about downloaded items.
  Concequence: search has to be part of resource, the resource knows how to
                              contact the backend, local search can be
                              delegated to nepomuk
  Problem: if I configure one local addressbook and one LDAP, how can I search
                  for contacts on both? I cannot go directly to nepomuk,
                  because my LDAP copy might be incomplete.
  Idea: searchProvider keeps track of what mimeType can be reached from which
          resource. does local search with nepomuk/strigi/XESAM and in
          paralell asks resources to update akonadi-db. monitors if resource
         has found more

strigi
  and encrypted mail? I would say the user has to decide if those
  mails should be indexed or not and the decryption job has to feed it to
  strigi.  this might result in code duplication kmail/feeder; doing it in the
  backend doesn't fit to well into the content agnostic backend idea
  of akonadi.

  with leazy loading only envelops are loaded into akonadi. strigi has no
  clue about the content until the complete fetch, hence the user wil not
  find new mails. I am not sure if non-IT people will understand the
  concequenses of leazy loading. I have no solution for that other than
  good help/documentation ... or full load.

kaddressbook
  future of contacts? In theory all the data for contacts we have
  (name,address, birthday, ...) is metadata  that could (should?)
  be stored in nepomuk

Regards
Christian