[Kde-pim] Akonadi design questions

Christian Schaarschmidt schaarsc at gmx.de
Wed Jun 6 22:54:40 BST 2007

Am Freitag, 1. Juni 2007 08:55 schrieb Volker Krause:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 23:52:10 Christian Schaarschmidt wrote:
> > I have put toghether yet another overview for akonadi I had planed to
> > attach. Unfortunately umbrello will no longer display the diagram and the
> > .png is to big as attachment. Does anyone have an idea how I could
> > convince umbrello to display it again?

well, this took longer than expected. I switched to argouml and the first
thing that happend was that my archive got corrupted, at least this was
fixable... anyway I've attached the result. It might not be 100% UML, but
shows the big picture. If you think this could be interesting for others I
can upload it.
The question is where?
I'm not sure if is better to start something in
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/kdepim/(akonadi?) or to upload it to the doc
directory?
techbase could be used to list q&a, todos from this thread, links to related
projects, etc.
but it makes only sense if we all agree to keep those things in techbase.
(if I'm not the only one that thinks this could be worth a try, I would
volunteer to provide a first shot.)

> > Now to the akonadi questions ...
> >
> > there are some aspect I still don't understand, I hope someone on the
> > list can help providing answers to these questions:
> >
> > - What is the idea behind SearchProvider?
> > MessageSearchProvider does listen to notifications and updates the meta
> > data accordingly. I guess this is not in eg. AppenJob to avoid code
> > replication?
>
> Search providers were part of one of the first designs and were removed
> some time ago already. Unfortunately some of their obsolete infrastructure
> has been used for the strigi and nepomuk feeder agents. We need clean this
> up.

clean up means rename to feederAgent?

> In theory you could put this functionality in the item modifcation job
> classes, but the a separate agent makes it IMHO much more flexible and
> robust. You can easily add additional agents for your favorite desktop
> search service and if it crashs because it fails to parse some broken data
> it doesn't affect your applications.

you are right, I was just wondering about performance issues for interprocess
communication. some time ago I had a discussion because I wanted to add a
virtual method in kdelibs. I had to change it because of the price of virtual
methods ...

> > - how to search for messages? only Nepomuk?
> > SearchProvider does not provide message specific searches,
> > findMessageBySubject or something like that.
>
> The idea so far is (IIRC we don't have code for that yet) to pass through
> the search query to strigi/nepomuk and to the resources which can do
> searches on the server (eg. ldap, imap). XESAM seems to contain a pretty
> comprehensive query language which should cover all our needs and wouldn't
> need any conversion to query strigi (or any other search service supporting
> it).
>
> > -Table PersistentSearches missing
> > where is PersistentSearch used?
> >
> > - is PersistentSearch::uids correct?
> > SearchProvider does not have member queryForUids( well, I couldn't find
> > it) QList<QByteArray> PersistentSearch::uids( const DataStore *store )
> > const {
> >   return mProvider->queryForUids( mQuery, store );
> > }
>
> Again, this is code from the early search provider design which for some
> unknown reason is still in there...
>
> > - reason for not having Q_CLASSINFO
> > in control/SearchProviderManger, control/ProfileManger
> > control/AgentManager does have it.
>
> I think it's only strictly needed when you don't use a dedicated DBus
> adaptor class or generate the interface description from the header file.

hmm, this is confusing.

Regards
Christian