[Kde-pim] kmail4, text mail body with css support?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jun 2 16:40:12 BST 2007

On Friday 01 June 2007 19:14, you wrote:
> You're hopefully the proper contact - if not, please fwd to the right
> person, TIA.

A way better contact than a single developer is the project's mailing
list. In this case that's kde-pim (although there is also kmail-devel,
but that one is mostly obsolete because most development issues are not
restricted to kmail and are therefore better discussed on kde-pim). So
I'm moving our discussion to kde-pim.

> I wonder if i can interest you in adding css support for displaying
> text mails in kmail (i'm not a fan of html mails at all...)
>
> this way we could provide customizable looks to the mail appereance,
> including fancier headers, e.g. a photo of the sender, various
> appereances to the quoted text and nice frames around the body (e.g.
> a shadow like most blogs currently have)

I'd be interested in this. In fact, we are already making use of css
albeit our css is mostly hard-coded with a few variables like colors
and font settings. You can find the corresponding code in csshelper.*.
This class used to be in kdepim/libkdepim in KDE 3. I'm not sure
whether it's still there or has been moved for KDE 4.

> as kmail has a body renderer for html anyway, the task would only be
> to translate the mail into html, add the css and use the html
> renderer
>
> as this all is completely user side, i don't see security issues like
> on html mails, but a nice and custom appereance
>
> if you're interested, i volunteer for writing such patch (but i'm not
> writing for the trashcan ;)

Please go ahead. As fallback we should still keep the hard-coded css. In
particular, because this way the messages' appearance obeys KDE's
global colors and fonts. The user created CSS could of course also have
support for macros/placeholders (e.g. for certain colors or text
styles) that KMail would replace with the corresponding values when it
loads the CSS.

Regards,
Ingo