[Kde-pim] License change.

Rudolf Germer zzzooonnnggg at web.de
Sun Jun 24 14:33:59 BST 2007

Tobias Koenig wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 01:39:22PM +0200, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
>
> > What is the deal with relicensing the stuff under LGPL anyway?
> > They are libs, and they were always meant to be.
>
> Right, nevertheless that doesn't mean that they have to be LGPL
> licensed at all. Using LGPL just means that propritary software can
> link against them

So what's wrong about proprietary software being able to link against them?

> Richard Stallman made a good separation:

In my opinion Richard Stallman has some very sick opinions.
Sad to see GNU is undermining more and more free software
projects.

> If your library brings new value which makes GPL software better
> than propritary software then use GPL, so people will be forced to
> use free software

Why should it be necessary to separate from fellow software developers?
Just because they want money for _their own_ code? They don't (!) steal
anything. The free library stays free. They just get paid for their _own_
code, with some help from free software.

> if they want to profite from this feature.

Fellow programmers should not profit from free software? There are
millions of users who profit from free software. Even thousands of
small and large companies do. So fellow programmers should not profit
from it just because they _produce_ software? If someone wants release
a piece of software under a free license, he will do it. There's no need
to force anybody doing this.

RG
<This is my 2nd try. Seems my first mail got lost somehow.>