[Kde-pim] gpgme++ and qgpgme BC status

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Mon Jul 23 15:29:53 BST 2007

Hei,

What with the pending feature freeze on Wednesday, here's the status of qgpgme
and gpgme++:

QGpgME:
===========
- The EventLoopIntegrator doesn't work on Windows (compiles, though). Laurent
  is working on fixing this. No API changes should be necessary. The class is
  pimpl'ed, but that is not an expected vector of change anyway, cf.
  GpgME::DataProvider.
- The QByteArrayDataProvider is not pimpl'ed, but implementation changes are
  not an expected vector of change here. Therefore the class should not be
  pimpl'ed. Changes in the underlying interface exported from gpgme++ as a
  more likely vector of change, and would result in a new interface name
  anyway.

GpgME++
===========
I would prefer this library to be called, and installed under, gpgme++.
gpgmepp was a kludge since automake didn't really like the +'s in library
names, IIRC.

*** You have about two hours to tell me not to rename the library,
*** until 1800 CET.

Other than that, I went through the header files and brushed them up. BC
shouldn't be a problem as long as gpgme itself keeps it. gpgme++ uses pimpls
where needed. In fact, part of gpgme++'s job is to shield users from
incompatible gpgme changes. One area of concern is extensions of callback
interfaces: it's easy to add another callback in a c interface, but adding it
to a C++ interface break BC. However, if that happens, we'll rename the
interface and deal with both interfaces.

There's been some development in gpgme since the last time I looked at
gpgme++, so I'll add some functionality to gpgme++ until Wednesday. This will
be purely added functions (maybe classes), and will not break existing code.

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz - marc at kdab.com, mutz at kde.org - Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB