[Kde-pim] Question on Akonadi data connection

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Mon Jul 30 09:07:16 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:48:16AM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
Hi Kevin,

> Attached is a first, hackish, implementation.
Looks good so far :)

> I have a couple of ideas for improvements:
>
> 1) class Akonadi should not have different inheritance but just derive from
> QObject and connect to a member's newConnection signal (both QTcpServer and
> KLocalSocketServer have this).
Why not inheriting from it? Because of the compile time switch?
At the time when KLocalSocket will do the abstraction for windows as
well I don't see a problem from inheriting KlocalSocket.

> 2) The socket address should rather be an abtract unix socket, e.g. like D-Bus
> Currently, if the akonadiserver crashed, it leaves the socket around and
> cannot listen on it anymore
We just have to unlink the unix socket file on a restart of akonadi.
That's a know issue with unix domain sockets.

> 3) depending on (1) it might be an option to make the connection type
> configurable, i.e. getting rid of most of the #ifdef, just using them for
> defaults if the config does not exist yet.
Well, we need the on-instance-per-user approach, so KLocalSocket is the
way to go. That Windows doesn't support unix sockets is the real
problem, hopefully Thiago finds a solution for this.

If there is no further objection from Volker or Till, please commit.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!