[Kde-pim] Akonadi as a freedesktop.org PIM infrastructure

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Jul 31 23:19:14 BST 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 00:01, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> From an engineering point of view the option (1) "shared specification" is
> probably the better choice. It allows us to proceed on our side as we see
> fit, only have to make sure we implement the share stuff properly,

I agree with that. It certainly would be nice to position Akonadi as a
freedesktp.org standard, but at the moment I think out priority should be to
make it work and integrate with our desktop.

The design of Akonadi took the possibility to standardize at least parts of it
into account from the beginning, so I think it will be possible to derive a
specification which can be shared by others without too much effort. It would
also be possible to share some components, e.g. the server or to provide
something new like a D-Bus API as an additional lib for clients.

I would welcome work on writing down something like an Akonadi specification,
although I also think that this should be done in a way which doesn't limit
us in our current implementation effort.