[Kde-pim] KNotes issues

Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas me at guillermoamaral.com
Mon Jul 30 18:06:16 BST 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 09:42:02 Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is mainly for Guillermo, the new maintainer of KNotes (hooray for
> maintainers!). As it doesn't hurt to have the issues visible for everyone,
> I post them here.
> Background: I'm messing with printing support for KNotes in the context of
> KDAB's effort to get the "4" versions Kontact/Kolab working early. So,
> Guillermo, you can count on me to check in working printing functionality
> in the course of the next days.

Brilliant!

On Saturday 28 July 2007 09:42:02 Andreas Hartmetz also wrote:
> KNotes has one major problem, and it's that it supports either plaintext or
> rich text editing while trying to handle them almost the same everywhere.
> That leads to quite some guessing (Qt::mighBeRichText()) internally, and
> that is very error-prone. Especially where KCal::Journal::setDescription()
> is used to store the text of notes without storing if it's rich text or
> not. You always need to test if you have rich text or plaintext, and there
> is nothing to remind you of that.

If the "X-KDE-RichText" header is added as Reinhold suggests, it could indeed
make this easier to work around.

On Saturday 28 July 2007 09:42:02 Andreas Hartmetz also wrote:
> Now I don't think that rich text in notes is very important, and having two
> modes is bad. The rich text controls are also tiny and therefore hard to
> use. If I were in charge I'd always offer very minimal rich text support
> and nothing more. Three font sizes, font color, bold/italic,
> centered/left/right aligned. You could choose the font in KNotes' settings
> dialog, and maybe a different font for printing. In that case, if somebody
> pastes rich text into a note you'd have to sanitize it to fit into that
> "limited rich text" scheme. Or just drop rich text.

I agree the rich text controls are indeed tiny and annoying to say the least
but many people like rich text, I will look into this later today, there
might be a simple way to address this issue.

On Saturday 28 July 2007 09:42:02 Andreas Hartmetz also wrote:
> Guillermo, you are of course free to do whatever you want - I'm just making
> suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

Thanks Andreas!