[Kde-pim] Ldap model

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 16:54:34 GMT 2007

I've just comitted an inital implementation of the LdapModel class. Here's a
copy of the svn log message:

****
Initial import of a data model for an LDAP directory to be used with
the Interview framework.

There is still much to do, but it's a start. So far the model provides
data showing the hierarchical structure of your LDAP directory and the
objectClasses of the objects in the directory (tooltips at present).

The model also uses lazy fetching of the data to prevent long startup
times.

The eventual plan is for the modle to hold all data of the directory and
to filter it by means of proxy models. This will allow us to use the
same model to for e.g. Show an overview of the directory structure in
one view, and the details of the selected LDAP object in another view.
At present the model only searches for the DN and objectClass
attributes - this will be extended shortly.

Also added the class LdapDN for easy manipulation of distinguished
names.
****

This puts us under way for a nice easy to use interface to LDAP directories.
At the moment there are no LDAP specific public functions on the model, but I
will be implemented soon. This in itself is just the first step in creating a
tool for effective management of LDAP directories. This would be very useful
in the corporate environment - I know because I have to mod our company's
LDAP directory almost everyday.

I'm thinking of an app that aswell as providing the traditional data approach
to managing directories, it also provides via a set of configurable plugins a
task based interface. Think, manage users; manage samba domain workstations;
manage sendmail aliases/forwarding addresses; manage global/personal address
books etc.

I've also put in a very simple test app into playground/sysadmin/arboretum
that displays the contents of an LdapModel in a QTreeView widget. I'll add to
this as the LdapModel gains more features.

Comments welcome - especially if I'm doing something really dumb :-)

Cheers,

Sean

ps Aaron, I'm CC'ing you after reading your blog about New Years Resolutions
where you talked about the need for more directory friendliness.