[Kde-pim] Ldap model

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 21:27:36 GMT 2007

Hi List,

I'm currently trying to implement some useful model(s) for accessing LDAP
directories by extending the kldap library. I nearly have it in a stage where
I can make an initial import into subversion (may take another week or so
because I'm short of time with real life getting in the way).

This is just a heads-up really so that you know something is in progress.
After thinking about this I think that thisis best implemented as two models.
The first is derived from QAbstractTableModel and represents the structure of
an LDAP directory. At present it searches objects for their DN and
objectClass attributes.

The second model is derived from QAbstractTableModel and represents a single
LDAP object.

The reasoning behind this is that an LDAP directory contains objects that each
have a variable length list of attributes that belong to that object *and*
possibly a list of child objects. I couldn't think of a way of squeezing
objects that are both branch and leaf nodes into a single item in the
interview architecture. Does this sound reasonable?

I also thought that this would lead to a simple way of having a view showing
the directory structure in one part of an application (like konqy's folder
view), and then having another view (or views) that represent(s) the selected
LDAP object(s) - maybe one per tab.

Once the ldap models are in place it should make it (almost) trivial to write
a generic LDAP management application. I have some more ideas about this that
arise from my use of LDAP at work to manage our linux-based infrastructure,
but that's a story for another day.

Regards,

Sean