[Kde-pim] Database-related project possible within PIM/Akonadi? (repost)

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 09:49:55 GMT 2007

On Tuesday, January 2, 2007 02:32:46 PM Robert Zwerus wrote:
> I'm a Computer Science student from The Netherlands and have been using
> Linux+KDE as my only operating system for some years now.
> My studies are coming to their end and I've reached the final assignment
> phase.
>
> This has to have to do something with databases and I'm curious if it's
> possible to execute some assignment within the Akonadi project. I've
> already done some reading, which rose several questions.
>
> I've come across this roadmap:
> http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/roadmap.php

You might want to have a look at
http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/apidocs/apidox-kde-4.0/kdepim-apidocs/akonadi/html/index.html
for a more technical description.

> Could someone explain if it's still accurate and what state Akonadi
> currently is in?

You need to add about 9-12 month to the dates in the roadmap ;-)

Roughly the current state is:
- we have a working storage for arbitrary data
- we have a client library to access the storage
- we have a first draft of a resource API
- we are stuck with the type-specific server extensions (aka search providers)

I hope that we can solve the last point at the Osnabrück meeting next week.

> Is the storage part nearing completion or are there big areas that need a
> lot of work?

The storage is currently probably the most advanced part, which of course
doesn't mean there is no more work ;-) Some things I can think of:
- using MySQL/Embedded crashs under heavy load, our guess is a multi-threading
problem in the QSQL driver, the amount of work needed might be somewhere
between a few changed lines and a complete re-write of the driver. Probably
not what your are looking for though.
- design/implementation of the type-specific extensions, I hope to be able to
tell you more about this after the Osnabrück meeting.
- optimizing the storage (eg. we don't have indices and don't do any caching,
etc.), probably more what you are looking for, but I'm not sure we have the
necessary infrastructure yet to do realistic tests (ie. ways to put large
amounts of real data into the storage and querying it in a way applications
will do it), somwhat dependent on the type-sepcific extensions though

regards
Volker