[Kde-pim] How to integrate the Contacts framework best? (was: Re: work/kdepim-3.5.5+ branch open for 3.5.7?)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Jan 22 01:31:55 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2006 16:46, schrieb Allen Winter:
> On Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:39:15 AM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2006 16:30, schrieb Allen Winter:
> > > Friedrich,
> > >
> > > Feel free to integrate your contacts stuff into the
> > > branches/work/kdepim-3.5.5+ branch. Where it can be tested and hacked
> > > on safely for a possible 3.5.7 release.
> >
> > Ah, so that branch is already done with preparations for 3.5.6? Fine. So
> > I can move the framework libs over from playground? Thanks.
>
> That branch won't be "done" until 3.5 is "done".
> We will continue using it as our testbed for new 3.5 features.
>
> I occassionally "freeze" it so we can catch our breath.
> Also I want  people to use the real 3.5 branch now so
> we can find bugs/refine the features.
>
> > Although, wanted to do a release (with translations) before to get some
> > more people testing the framework and giving some feedback. And I think I
> > should do.
> >
> > So I will first prepare and do a release and then move the libs over to
> > the branch and patch at least KAddressbook. Should be around mid January.
> > Even if the patch for KAddressbook is ready already :)
>
> Very good.

So I just made the release*, and am now wondering how to proceed best. Because
there are two things I would like to do at the same time:
a) add new features to the framework and release them in short time,
   including translations
b) integrate quickly with KDE 3's KAddressBook and other PIM programs
   (like having the framework display contacts and offer the services on them
   in email headers, or supporting the assignment of email folders to contacts
   right in KMail, like used by some plugins, etc. )

I guess that the kdepim-3.5.5+ branch is not supported for translations. And I
would not really want to maintain another version, I do that already with my
experimental variant of the contacts stuff for KDE 4 (not yet in svn, too
many changes and crazy code, should learn how to do a branch).

So what about this:
I copy the framework and very basic plugins to the kdepim-3.5.5+ branch and
keep the rest for now only in playground. I will make sure the framework
always works with the branch, and only than in playground adapt the plugins
and the framework applications like the cards server or the Kicker applet.

Is there a way to automatically synchronize some dirs? svn:external for the
framework copy in playground might not work for having the copy translated, I
guess. So would I have to synchronize the playground copy of the framework
manually? Well, not perfect, but should not be that much a problem.

So, what do you think?

*
framework:
Kicker applet: