[Kde-pim] Sending invitations to Outlook users

Jan-Pascal van Best janpascal at vanbest.org
Mon Jan 22 16:52:47 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I've been trying to send invitations from Kontact/KOrganizer (Kontact
v1.2.3, Korganizer v3.5.5, KDE v3.5.5 from Debian Etch) to Outlook 2000
or 2003 using an Exchange 2003 server, or using Outlook Web Access on
the same server. Outlook and OWA show invitations from KOrganiser as an
e-mail with an attachtment. When opening the attachment they complain
they do not know the appointment concerned. The settings in
KMail/Misc/Groupware did not help me (invitations, oddly enough, still
show as e-mails with attachments).

I compared the messages sent by KOrganizer to those sent by Outlook, and
found that just _removing_ the
line from the text/calendar mime part did the trick for me (of course, I
also had to change the message id and vcal uid to get the message
accepted). Without this line, both Outlook 2000, 2003, and OWA 2003
accepted the invitation. I've tried looking into the kdepim source for
where the line is generated, but I got lost somewhere in libkcal.

Would anyone know how to get KOrganizer not to mark the vcal mimepart as
an attachment?

Jan-Pascal