[Kde-pim] Fwd: Google SoC Project Idea: Kontact Exchange

Vincent Panel yohonet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 09:44:45 GMT 2007

On 2/26/07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> FYI, this was sent to kde-devel at kde.org.
>
> --
>  Thiago Macieira - thiago (AT) macieira.info - thiago (AT) kde.org
>   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
>   E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Hi,

I know a bit exchange as I've migrated a company from exchange 5.5 to
an exchange 2003 cluster.

The major problem being that exchange uses natively protocols no one
has ever implemented under linux (even evolution) : X400 and X500. Of
course these are "microsoft" protocols which means they have probably
added proprietary, undocumented features to these protocols. Exchange
also uses imap, pop3 and webdav. But you can disable all three of them
and only outlook users will be able to use exchange. Evolution uses
webdav access, so they don't implement the native protocol either.

The other problem is the calendar integration with the exchange
server. I think you should be able to keep a local copy of your
exchange calendar, but synchronize it with the server, so in the
current state, the best way to do this is via opensync and writing a
plugin for it.

You have almost the same synchronization problem with contacts.

I also notice some people sometimes use the "vote" mechanism of
outlook/exchange and kmail doesn't deal with it at all.

One last thing is public folders : these are mail folders shared among
several people (and generally open read/write to a group of people).

Now things that does work in the current kmail state  :
- If imap is turned on, kmail deals with exchange rather well
- kmail is able to display meeting requests, deal with them (accept /
decline / tentative and send a response to the sender) and add the
meeting in your (local) calendar
- you can get your exchange contacts and access the exchange GAL if
you configure LDAP in the configuration page of kadressbook. But here,
there's another difficulty : for a NT domain, the GAL is on the
exchange server and for a 2003 domain, it's on the Domain Controllers
of the domain. It's possible you can get the domain controller by
querying the exchange server, but I don't know how to do it. The other
way to get it is by querying the domain in a samba-way (samba is able
to tell you the domain controller with only the domain name).

I think an exchange wizard to configure all these pieces of kmail in
one go would be much appreciated, otherwise, you have to configure all
these things in kmail, then in kadressbook, then in korganizer.

My two pennies...