[Kde-pim] Reason why the 700p doesn't sync...

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Sat Feb 24 14:58:18 GMT 2007

Hi Ryan!!  =:)

On Friday 23 February 2007 18:56, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> Hello folks... I am attempting to sync my Palm Treo 700p. I had a 650
> which was great in every way (save EVDO and NVRAM), but when the boss
> bought me a cell, I opted for a Treo 700p.

I have a vested interest in getting this to work, since at some point, I'd
love to get a 700p for myself...  =:)

> Well, the thing won't reliably sync by USB and it has finally occurred
> to me why. The 700p, when plugged in, draws power and alerts the PC to
> its presence. The problem, however, is if one opens kpilot, kpilot
> notices the open port and doesn't hold off like it apparently normally
> would before attempting to open a USB port (Pilot device /dev/ttyUSB1
> does not exist -- probably it is a USB device and will appear during a
> HotSync).

One thing to try right away:  go to kpilot's configuration dialog | General
Setup | Device and set "Workarounds" to something other than None.  You also
need to make sure that you're using at least kpilot 4.9.0 (from KDE 3.5.6).
If you're using kpilot 4.9.0, then this might address what you're seeing.
KPilot in the current development environment does something different
entirely (hopefully in a better way), so I'd like you to try using the
workarounds flag first to see if it helps and if it doesn't you'll need to
try the latest version of kpilot so I can hack it into submission for you.
=:)

[snip]
> The same thing happens with pilot-xfer. The only way to make this work
> is to make sure the device is already syncing by the time it causes a
> device to appear on the PC. This is tricky, however, because it doesn't
> seem like you have an unlimited amount of time to get the PC properly
> connected after pushing HotSync on the device -- it only appears to work
> for the first few seconds.

Now this concerns me here.  Kpilot can only do what pilot-link can do since
pilot-link is the underlying library for kpilot.  However, searching google
briefly shows that at least some people are able to get jpilot working with
the 700p, so we have some level of hope.  =:)

Why is /dev/ttyUSB1 staying open when you try syncing with pilot-xfer?  I'm
assuming you're doing it like this:

- make sure kpilot isn't running
- hit hotsync on your treo
- type this and hit enter:

pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l

Is that right?  If so, I don't understand why /dev/ttyUSB1 is kept open.

Kpilot will see the device and try to communicate with it and won't let it go
in time for the comm to happen, which is why I would like you to try
the "Workarounds" thing above.

Failing that... if it's predictable and consistent, have you tried just
using /dev/ttyUSB3 always?

> Anyway, it appears as if this is the problem. Now, how on earth can we
> go forward from here? Does this description make sense to anyone? Here's
> an example with pilot-xfer:
>
> BAD:
> 1. Connect device. (/dev/ttyUSB0-1 created)
> 2. Run pilot-xfer (listens to /dev/ttyUSB1)
> 3. Hit HotSync (/dev/ttyUSB0-1 go away, /dev/ttyUSB2-3 appear)
> 4. Eventual failure
>
> GOOD:
> 1. Connect device. (/dev/ttyUSB0-1 created)
> 2. Hit HotSync (/dev/ttyUSB0-1 are destroyed and then re-created)
> 3. Run pilot-xfer (listens and connects on /dev/ttyUSB1)
> 4. Success
>
> Thanks for reading this far and hopefully it was helpful.

Thanks for the well-put-together e-mail Ryan.  =:)

Please let me know what you find.  I'd love to get this working for you.  =:)

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper
 -[ KDEPIM Developer